If you want to improve the appearance of your home, there are different choices for roofing materials. Wood materials can be a great choice to change the look of your home. These materials include wood shakes and shingles.
When you're installing wood materials, there are some things that you will want to consider. You want to choose the type of materials, moisture barriers, and improvements. There are also ways to protect against leaks and improve energy efficiency. The following wood roof installation guide will help you with your roofing project:
- Choosing the Type of Shakes or Shingles—There are two different types of wood roofing materials that you have to choose from. These roofing materials are shakes and wood shingles. The main difference in the two is that shakes are split, while shingles are milled like other lumber products. Split shakes will have a rougher finish, while shingles will be smoother and less vulnerable to wear.
- Removing Old Roofing Materials—Old roofing materials will need to be removed before the new roof can be installed. If you are removing old asphalt shingles, these materials will need to be taken to the landfill. If you are replacing wood materials, there are options for recycling and repurposing these materials.
- Inspecting the Roof For Problems—Inspect the surface of your roof for problems after the old materials have been removed. The problems with your roof can be due to damaged roof decking or poor design. With wood roofing materials, you want to make sure to repair these issues. Make sure there are not any water traps or other issues that can cause serious problems with rot.
- Repairing the Damage to Decking—Repair the damage to the decking to ensure you do not have problems when new wood roofing is installed. The damage may go beyond decking materials and include rafters or other wood materials. Make sure any rotted wood is replaced before you continue with the installation of the roofing materials.
- Installation of the Wood Roofing—The last step in the process will be to install the new wood roofing materials on your home. This step involves installing a moisture barrier between each row of shakes. A strip of felt paper will help prevent shakes from touching each other to prevent problems with moisture being trapped. Once the shakes are installed, allow time for them to dry before sealing them.
These things will help you with your wood roofing project. If you are ready to install new roofing on your home, contact a roofing installation service and talk to them about using wood materials.Share